Student Activity #2: Remote Rover Rock Hunt
Level 1--Find the Rock
This activity is played between two classrooms--one is the "Site
Class" and the other is the "Search Class." The Site places
a "rock" (a real one or paper representation) in their classroom
and moves a "rover" according to the commands from the Searchers.
Suggestions for the Site Class
- Make a map of your classroom and plot the rover's movement during the
- Tell the Searchers the dimensions of your classroom and the location
of the rover at the beginning (such as "in the doorway 1.8 meters
from the North wall").
- Measure as accurately as possible--keep the tape measure straight and
measure to the centers of the objects.
- Report the distance between the rover and the rock using the greatest
precision the measuring tape allows.
- Make sure the "rock" is not moved during the activity.
- Follow the Searcher's directions precisely and make sure the "rover"
is stationary between moves.
- Tell the Searchers if their commands are "illegal" (such
as a command moves the rover through a wall).
- Avoid giving hints.
- Allow the searchers to "reset" during the activity--the rover
is returned to the starting point unharmed.
Suggestions for the Search Class
- Make a map of the classroom and plot the rover's movement during the
- Obtain consensus before sending the rover commands.
- Be patient!