Student Activity #2: Remote Rover Rock Hunt
Level 3--Map the Classroom
This activity is played between two classrooms--one is the "Site
Class" and the other is the "Search Class." The Site places
a "rock" (a real one or paper representation) in their classroom
and moves a "rover" according to the commands from the Searchers.
This version differs from Levels 1 & 2 by asking the Searchers to create
a map of the Site classroom based upon information they receive from the
Suggestions for the Site Class
- Follow all suggestions given in Levels 1 & 2 except for revealing
the classroom dimensions.
- Assume anything on the floor is a hazard capable of stopping the rover.
- Move the rover according to the Searcher's commands until it contacts
an object in the room or the walls of the room.
- Report distance from the rock, distance from the starting point, and
whatever object the rover is touching.
- Allow one "reset"--the rover is returned to the starting
Suggestions for the Search Class
- Follow all suggestions given in Levels 1 & 2.
- Use large paper for your map of the Site classroom.
- Try to establish the boundaries of the room before mapping its interior.
- Mark the location of each object you locate (touch) on your map.
- Be patient!