NORTHWEST WEATHER WATCH
A local organization - The Mountaineers - is an
excellent resource for anyone planning expeditions
to wilderness or mountain areas.
The Mountaineers publish books, provide training,
and offer group excursions to wilderness areas.
Their mission is "to explore, study, preserve, and
enjoy the natural beauty of the Northwest."
A free pamphlet on their shelves - Hiking Safety and the 10
Essentials offers the following guidelines:
The 10 Essentials (Plus)
- Don't hike alone.
- Be in good physical condition.
- Leave the trip schedule with a responsible person.
- Stay with your group.
- Carry the Ten Essentials (Plus).
- And don't forget to take along your common sense!
These items should also be regarded as essential:
- Extra Clothing: Rain gear
Wool or polypropylene
(cotton is a no-no)
- Extra Food: Requiring no cooking
High in carbohydrates
- First Aid Kit
- Firestarter: Candle stubs or solid
- Matches: In a waterproof container
(or a Butane lighter)
- Flashlight: With extra batteries and
- Map: USGS or Green Trails
For more information go to:
- Full water bottle
- Water treatment
- Toilet Paper
- Insect Repellant
- Ground insulation
- Space blanket
- Tube tent
Olympia Branch Mountaineers
Project Safeside: Keeping you ahead of the Storm