Questions and Extensions:Snow Module
For a printable version of this page without comment boxes look here.
The following are optional. They extend the content of this curriculum
module and require time and resources beyond the primary scope of this
- How much did it snow? Pick the location, time interval, and information
source. The Web can be used as a resource for this information.
- What percentage of snow is liquid water? Is that figure always the
- What atmospheric signs indicate the likelihood of snow? Develop a "rating"
method for the signs that reflects your confidence in each one as a predictor.
- At what speed do snowflakes fall? Is the speed connected to the air
- How does the annual snowfall of polar regions relate to mid-latitudes?
Try to control for variables like how far the land you examining is from
the nearest ocean.
- Gather data on how air temperature varies with altitude. Try to obtain
the data directly using tall buildings, model airplanes and rockets, etc.
Remember to control for the effects of radiation from surfaces near your
thermometer, wind speed, motors, etc.
to Teachers Reference Page